Pain in the knee can occur in older people, as well as young adults and children, but women are more prone to it than men.
The pain in the knee can originate in any part of the joint (femur, tibia or fibula), the ligaments, cartilage (meniscus) or the kneecap (patella). It can diffuse throughout the knee, and the severity varies from minor to severe and disabling.
The pain occur as a result of aging or weakened bone structure, as well as meniscus or ligament injuries, fractures, dislocation of the joint or stiffness due to arthritis, lupus and other chronic diseases. The pain can be accompanied by swelling, redness, stiffness, numbness and difficulties standing or walking.
The pain, if severe, can disable you from performing your everyday activities, so you need to treat the problem. Here we will present you some natural, homemade remedies which can help with mild to moderate knee pain caused by improper training, lack of use or overuse of the knee. These remedies can also be helpful if the knee pain is caused by aging, arthritis or some other similar condition, but before you start with the treatment, consult your doctor.
- Cold compress: Cold compress will constrict the blood vessels, reduce blood flow and as a result, the swelling will reduce as well.
- Wrap a few ice cube in a towel
- Apply the cold compress on the affected knee and keep it for 10-20 minutes
- Repeat the treatment 2-3 times a day, until the pain is gone.
- You can also use a bag of frozen peas as a cold compress
- For chronic pains, alternate hot and cold compresses
- Apple cider vinegar: It has alkalizing effect which helps dissolve accumulated toxic minerals in the knee joints and restore joint lubrication to reduce the pain and promote mobility.
- Mix 3 tsp. of ACV in 2 cups of filtered water and drink the mixture during the day.
- Mix 2 cups of ACV in your bath water, soak the affected knee for 30 minutes, one a day for a couple of days.
- Mix 1 tbsp. of ACV and the same amount of olive oil and use the mixture to massage the affected knee, twice a day.
- Cayenne pepper: The capsaicin from cayenne pepper acts like natural analgesic, which produces warm sensation and reduces pain.
- Mix 2 tbsp. of cayenne pepper powder with ½ cup of warm olive oil and apply the mixture on the affected knee twice a day for at least a week.
- Mix ¼ cayenne pepper with 1 cup of ACV, soak a washcloth in the mixture and apply it on the painful knee for 20 minute, one or twice a day, until the inflammation is reduced
- Apply a topical gel which contains 0.0124 % capsaicin to reduce the pain in the knee.
- Ginger: Ginger has the ability to relieve pain and swelling due to the anti-inflammatory properties, whether the pain is caused by arthritis, some injury or muscle strain.
- Peel and cut in small pieces fresh ginger root, add it to a cup of water and boil it for 10 minutes, then strain the tea and add some lemon juice and honey. Drink 2-3 cups of ginger tea ever day until the rain and swelling are gone.
- Massage the affected knee with ginger oil 2-3 times a day.
- Turmeric: Due to the chemical called curcumin, turmeric has powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties and acts as a natural pain reliever. According to the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, turmeric can slow the progression of rheumatoid arthritis, which is the main cause of keen pain.
- In a cup of water, add ½ teaspoon of turmeric and the same amount of ground ginger, and boil it for 10 minutes. Strain the tea, add some honey and drink it twice a day.
- Boil 1 tsp. of turmeric powder in a glass of milk, add some honey to sweeten it and drink it once a day.
- Take 250-500 mg of turmeric capsules 2 times a day.
Turmeric can thin the blood, so it`s not suitable for people taking blood-thinners.
- Lemon: The citric acid in lemons dissolves uric acid crystals, which are causing certain types of arthritis.
- Cut 1-2 lemons in small pieces
- Tie them in a cotton cloth and dip it in warm sesame oil
- Apply the cloth on the affected knee for 5-10 minutes
- Repeat the treatment twice a day, until the pain is gone.
In the morning, on an empty stomach, drink juice from 1 lemon, diluted in a glass of warm water. It can also be beneficial for reducing knew pain caused by arthritis.
- Mustard oil: According to Ayurveda, massaging the painful knee with warm mustard oil can reduce inflammation, improve blood circulation and reduce pain.
- Heat 2 tbsp. of mustard oil.
- Fry 1 chopped garlic clove in the oil, until it turns brown
- Cool and strain the oil
- Use the lukewarm oil to gently massage the painful knee in circular motions
- Cover the knee with a plastic wrap and warm towel
- Repeat the treatment twice a day, for 1-2 weeks
- Epsom salt: The magnesium sulfate from Epsom salt can relieve knee pain, because it`s a natural muscle relaxant which help remove excess fluids from tissues, which reduces inflammation, swelling and pain.
- Dissolve ½ cup of Epsom salt in hot bath
- Soak the aching knee in the warm water for 15 minutes
- Repeat the treatment few times a week, until the pain is gone.
Using Epsom salt baths is not recommended for people suffering from high blood pressure, diabetes or heart problems.
- Fenugreek seeds: They have powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which can help reduce knee pain, especially if caused by arthritis.
- Soak 1 tsp. of fenugreek seeds in filtered water and let them sit overnight. The next morning, drain off the water and consume the seeds, every day for 1-2 weeks.
- Roast and grind a handful of fenugreek seeds and store them in a jar. Make a paste using 2 tsp. of the powder and some water, apply the paste on the affected knee, let it act for 30 minutes, then rinse it off with warm water. Repeat the treatment 2 times a day, for a week.
- Eucalyptus oil: Acts as a natural analgesic. Its cooling effect can relieve knee pain, caused by arthritis. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine journal published a study which stated that inhaling essential eucalyptus pol can reduce pain and inflammation after knee replacement.
- Blend 5-7 drops of each eucalyptus and peppermint oil and 2 tbsp. of olive oil.
- Store the mixture in a dark glass bottle, in a dark place
- Rub the mixture on the aching knee, whenever you feel pain
- Gently massage the knee, so that the oil can penetrate deeply into the skin.
These preventive measures should be taken for faster recovery:
- Lose the extra weight
- Avoid activities which can hurt the knee
- Don`t overuse the knees
- Wear the right shoes and shoe size
- Take magnesium and omega-3 supplements
- Smoking slows the healing, so stop smoking
- Drink lots of water to soften the cartilage
- Do joint-targeted exercises, under expert`s guidance
- Don`t wear high heeled shoes
- Compress the knee with a wrap or knee brace
- Keep the legs elevated to reduce swelling and pain.