Lately, we hear very often about coconut water, coconut butter, coconut oil, coconut cream, coconut milk and coconut flour. It seems that this list is endless!
The popularity of coconut oil lately is extremely increased and there is very good reason for that. Actually, there are at least 127 good reasons for it!
Coconut (C. Nucifera) is a part of the Arecaceae (Palmae) family and belongs to the subfamily Cocoideae. Its flesh is rich in healthy acids, and its composition of fat may vary depending on its processing process and type.
In addition , medium-chain saturated fatty acids are around 90% of its content, combined with a small portion of polyunsaturated and mono-unsaturated fatty acids.
Namely, these medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCFA’s) are very easy digested and absorbed by human’s body. Also they can be used about promotion of neurological health and about providing energy.
Extremely useful is unrefined (virgin) oil and at the same time is cheap, tasty, and natural and it’s readily available. Moreover, it has powerful health-promoting properties, such as:
- Antioxidant properties ( coconut oil can prevent the formation of free radicals and also can prevent the damage they cause)
- Anti-inflammatory properties
- Anti-microbial/ Infection-fighting properties ( coconut oil effectively can kill viruses, bacteria, yeast, protozoa and parasites)
- Coconut oil is nontoxic to both, animals and humans
- Also it has powerful anti-carcinogenic properties (boosts the immune system and inhibits the spread of cancer cells )
- Coconut oil enhances the absorption of nutrients (makes fat-based vitamins, like vitamin K, E, D, A, more available to the body and it is easily digestible )
We can say that this oil is absolutely remarkable for use in numerous cases
If taken regularly, coconut oil can prevent and help numerous health issues, as follows:
1 .Diabetes – coconut oil prevents food cravings and stabilizes blood sugar levels
2 .Chronic and adrenal Fatigue
3 .Asthma – in both, adults, and children
4. Cystic Fibrosis and Bronchial Infections
5 .Acid Reflux/ Indigestion – In this case, consume coconut oil after meals
6.Mild Depression and Cognitive Disease –In this case, take coconut oil in combination with fish oil, CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), and other treatment methods
7.Bowel function –gut infections, constipation, IBD (inflammatory bowel disease)
9 .Cancer – Studies have demonstrated that coconut oil prevents breast and colon cancer
10. Candida Albicans
11. Allergies – seasonal hay fever
12. Cholesterol – improves the ratio of HDL (‘good’ cholesterol) to LDL (‘bad’ cholesterol) in individuals with high cholesterol levels
13.Colds and Flues – Coconut oil has potent anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties and is extremely useful in case of colds and flu
14. Gas – The imbalance of bacteria in the gut often leads to foul gas. This oil has mild anti-microbial properties and thus re-establishes healthy gut flora
15. Flaky, dry skin- Insufficient amounts of oil lead to dandruff and dry skin
16. Poor Circulation – If you constantly feel cold or in the case of edema, particularly in the extremities, apply this oil to the skin in a circular motion towards the heart.
17. Kidney Disease and Stones – it is really helpful as it dissolves small stones in the kidneys
18.Gallbladder Disease – Dietary oils raise the bile flow, which is beneficial in the case of gallbladder problems
19.H. pylori – In this case, take coconut oil orally.
20. Irritable Bowel Syndrome – alternating diarrhea and constipation are key signs of IBS
21. Hot Flashes
22. Epilepsy – Coconut oil may effectively reduce epileptic seizures
23. Hemorrhoids – You should apply coconut oil externally or internally two times a day
24. Liver Disease
25. Menstruation Relief – This oil alleviates pain, heavy blood flow, and cramps
26. Lung Disease
27. Tooth Decay and Periodontal Disease
28. Tooth Decay and Periodontal Disease
29. Heart Disease – it provides protection for arteries from injury that leads to atherosclerosis
30. Tooth Decay and Periodontal Disease
31. Immune System Builder
32. Migraines – In this case, you ought to use it regularly
34. Bladder Infections and Urinary Tract Infections
36. Thyroid Function – it provides regulation in case of overactive or underactive thyroid gland
37. Prostate Enlargement – BPH- benign prostatic hyperplasia
38. Stomach Ulcers – it soothes the stomach lining and reduces the growth of H. pylori
Topical Health Problems
Also coconut oil can be used in relieving and treating the following health conditions:
- Athletes Foot
- Pink eye – You should apply coconut oil to the eye and around it
- Head Lice – Apply it topically
- Herpes – You should take it orally and apply it topically
- Allergies/Hay Fever – For fast relief, you should rub a little coconut oil inside the nostrils, and the pollen will cling to the oil.
- Ear infection – It fights the infection, and in order to reduce the pain, you should pour several drops of coconut and garlic oil inside the ear two times during the day
- Cysts and boils
- Decongestant – If you are congested due to an allergy or a cold, you should rub some coconut oil on the chest and under your nose
- Sore Muscles and Back Pain
- Toenail Fungus
- Hives – Coconut oil lessens the swelling and itching
- Acne – The skin which is susceptible to acne is often excessively dry, meaning that your glands produce much oil and clog the pores.
- Circumcision healing – Coconut oil are helpful in the healing
- Genital Warts – In most cases, genital warts vanish on their own after 2 years of the initial infection, but if you use coconut oil topically, you will cure them after 6-month treatment
Coconut oil also can be used about personal hygiene and the body:
- Bruises – It reduces redness and swelling, and thus accelerates the healing process. Apply it directly to the bruise.
- Bug Bites – It accelerates the healing process, as it reduces the burning sensation, as well as itching. Therefore, apply it directly on the affected area.
- Body Scrub – You should mix some salt and this oil, or you can add some other essential oil for a better smell as well, and rub your body. Than you can wash the mixture off and your skin will be incredibly soft!
- Burns – It promotes healing and prevents scars. Therefore, apply it immediately on the burn and continue using it until you solve the issue.
- Swimmers Ear – Mic coconut and garlic oil and pour a few drops in the ear and leave them for 10 minutes. Repeat this method twice or three times a day, and you will solve the problem in a few days.
- Skin Conditions – It provides relief in the case of dermatitis, eczema and psoriasis.
- Dandruff – Oil secretion may be one of the most common causes of dandruff. Coconut oil reduces it, as well as it moisturizes the scalp and alleviates the dandruff symptoms.
- After Shave – Coconut oil successfully heals the skin after shaving and does not clog the pores.
- Wrinkle Prevention and reduction – rub some coconut oil on the wrinkles and sagging skin, and you will strengthen the connective tissues and rejuvenate the skin.
- Deodorant – You can use coconut oil as a deodorant, because it provides amazing effects when combined with baking soda and cornstarch/arrowroot powder.
- Chopstick – Rub some coconut oil on your lips and it will soften them and protect them, as it has an SPF of about 4.
- Hair conditioner/ Deep Treatment – Apply a teaspoon of this oil to the ends and through the hair with the fingers, and use it as a leave-in hair conditioner. In order to use it as a deep treatment, rub in a tablespoon of this amazing oil onto the dry scalp and rub a bit in the hair ends and put a shower cap and leave it to act overnight.
- Diaper Salve – It has no chemicals and it is great on a rash bum, and completely safe for cloth diapers.
- Age Spots – In order to make it fade, apply some oil directly to the age spot.
- Eye cream – At bedtime, apply some coconut oil on the eyelids. Moreover, in order to reduce wrinkles, bags and puffiness, apply it under the eyes.
- Baldness – Mix thyme, rosemary, coconut oil, lavender, cedar wood, and Grapeseed / castor oil, a little cayenne pepper and jojoba oil. Apply this mixture at bedtime or three times during the day and massage the affected are, and it will support cell regeneration.
- Hair Gel/ Defroster – Rub a bit coconut oil between the palms and finger comb, or in case, your hair is curly, scrunch into the hair on the ends.
- Face Wash/ Soap – Mix coconut oil with almond oil, olive oil, castor oil and avocado oil in equal amounts and use the mixture to wash your face instead of your soap. Rub it in, leave it on the face in order to act for 2 minutes, wash it off and pat dry.