Rice is part of almost every meal in Asia, but it is also used in their beauty treatments. Rice is very beneficial for healthy and beautiful hair and skin, because it is rich in vitamins B, C and E, as well as minerals and 8 essential amino acids. Rice water is rich in nutrients which can make your skin flawless and your hair healthy and beautiful.
How to make rice water? Just boil or soak some rice in water, to get the milky white solution which can be diluted, fermented or concentrated to use all the benefits it offers.
Rice water is one of the cheapest and easiest homemade beauty product, using ingredients you always have in the kitchen.
Make rice water with boiling:
Rinse a cup of organic rise and cook it in 3 cups of water, in an uncovered pan. When it`s ready, strain the water in a container and, when cooled, store it in the fridge, but no longer than a week. One or two tablespoons of this milky solution should be diluted in a cup of water, and your beauty product is ready.
Make rice water without boiling:
Rinse a cup of organic rise and add 2 cups of filtered water. Let the rice soak for at least 30 minutes, then stir well and drain the water in a separate container. Store the liquid in the fridge for up to 4 days. Shake well before using.
If you want fermented rice water, keep the drained water at room temperature for 2 days. When you want to use it for your daily hair and skin hair routine, mix 1 part fermented rice water with 3 parts plain water. This way you won`t need to buy expensive beauty products which are filled with toxic chemicals.
Hair and skin benefits of rice water:
Tightening skin pores:
Large open pores can lead to acne and blackheads, especially in people with oily skin. Rice water is very beneficial for this skin issue, because it is a natural astringent which tightens and tones the skin. Also, it can restore the pH balance of the skin.
- Mix equal parts of rice and plain water, soak a cotton ball in the mixture and apply it on the face. Let it act for 15-20 minutes, then wash the face with water. Repeat this every night on cleaned face, for better results.
Rice water can make the skin soft and moisturized because it contains a protein which does not allow water loss. Also, it contains antioxidant which reduce the damage of free radicals caused by aging, environmental factors and exposure to sun without proper protection.
- Mix 1 part rice water with 2 parts cold plain water, soak a washcloth in the solution and apply it on the face. Let it act for 15-20 minutes, then wash the face with the rest of the rice water, and after that with clean water. Repeat this once a day and your skin will be soft and smooth in no time.
Improved skin complexion:
Rice water is very effective for improving skin complexion, because it increases its elasticity, lowers inflammations and removes toxins, leaving the skin flawless.
Also, it prevents age spots and hyperpigmentation.
- Soak a cotton pad in diluted rice water and apply it on cleaned face. Let it act for 5-10 minutes, then massage the face for a couple of minutes with circular motions. At the end, wash the face with lukewarm water. Repeat the treatment once a day.
Soothing irritated skin:
Due the starch it contains, rice water is very helpful in treating dry skin lesions caused by eczema, and it can also sooth skin irritations and inflammations. A study for 2002 shows that treating damaged skin with rice water 2 times a day for 15 minutes has improved its healing capacity by 20%. This bath can also help with barrier damaged skin and atopic dermatitis.
- Add a few cups of rice water in the warm bath and soak your whole body in it for 20 minutes, 2 times a day, to treat skin irritations or inflammation.
- For certain body parts, soak a cotton ball in cool rice water and apply it on the irritated skin, a few times a day, until it`s healed.
Improves hair health and beauty:
Rice water makes the hair strong, healthy and soft, due to the protein it contains. It strengthens the skin and fills in the cracks, so that the hair is shiny and soft.
Rice water contains a carbohydrate called inositol, which can protect the hair from damaging, prevent hair loss and increase growth.
- After shampooing the hair, pour it with rice water diluted with plain water. Gently massage the scalp for 10 minutes, and wash it with clean water. Repeat the treatment 2-3 times a week.
- Add a few drops of rosemary, geranium or lavender essential oil in the rice water, or even green tea, to make it extra nourishing. If you are using fermented rice for your hair, always dilute it with plain water.
Taming frizzy hair:
Unmanageable frizzy hair can be treated with rice water. The high amounts of protein will deep condition the hair, improve elasticity and detangle it.
A study from 2010, investigating the history of hair care habits of Japanese women, has discovered that they are rinsing the hair with rice water every day, which reduces surface friction and improves its elasticity.
- Shampoo your hair and then rinse it with cool water. After this, rinse the hair once more with a mixture of 1 part fermented rice water and 3 parts bath water. Repeat the treatment 1-3 times a week, for better results.
- Before using it, wash the rise thoroughly to remove any particles
- You can use any type of rice: brown rice, jasmine, white, etc.
- In hair care treatments, you must always dilute the rice water with plain water, to avoid lumps or accumulation of the rice water in the hair
- If you can, use organic rice because it`s pesticide-free.