Mold is usually associated with dirty bathrooms or rotten food, even though it can be found almost anywhere: in wet areas, dirty building, damps, but it hides in our homes as well.
Every day, we ingest and breathe in mold, without being aware of it, because it`s not visible, it can be hiding in the walls, under the floor or in the food.
Mold is very toxic and it can even be deadly. If it overruns the body, mold shuts down the immune system, so that the body can`t fight infections and illnesses. This means that it can take a lot of time to diagnose and cure any possible health issue.
The invisible, silent killer
A few different types of toxicity are known in mold, and the most dangerous ones are mycotoxins. They are very hard to be eliminated and they transfer to everything- clothes, furniture, draperies, linens etc.
When they enter the body, mycotoxins damage the immune and nervous system, brain and joints. They can cause some serious diseases including cancer. Consequences are often fatal.
In 2005, the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture published a study stating that: “Acute toxicity act rapidly, while chronic toxicity acts over a long time period, but causes irreversible effects, and can result in cancer.”
One of the most common consequences of mold exposure are allergies.
A study form 2011 has discovered that 25-28% of U.S. citizens have genetic predisposition to issues linked to moist places. Also, 50% of all the buildings in the U.S. have dampness, making them a fertile ground for mold and fungi to develop and grow. You have a 50-50 % chance that your home or the office space will get mold, sooner or later. In case it gets mold, the chances of experiencing the effects of the mold are 40%.
The usual places where mold appears and grows are damp places with scars or no ventilation at all, places like the bathroom, basement or other areas with water.
The first sign of mold in the home is some leak in the roof or behind the shower. Untreated wood or other contaminated construction material, can cause mold in your home. Mold also appears in dirty HVAC systems, if they haven`t been cleaned from dust and moisture for months or years.
Mold grows in dry and arid climates as well, like in Arizona and Nevada. This type of mold causes severe problems with breathing.
You can find mold in your food, like nuts, grains, coffee, chocolate or wine.
Symptoms of mold poisoning
Until recently, most doctors were telling their patients that the symptoms of mold poisoning which they were describing were only in their head, just because they couldn`t discover the real cause of the problem.
Recent studies have shown that that the effects of mold are real, and they can be a threat to our health and our life.
In the beginning, the mold poisoning symptoms are mild, but in time, if untreated, they become more and more severe, because the mold overwhelms the whole body.
One of the reasons why doctors often misdiagnose it, is because the symptoms of mold poisoning are very similar to conditions like Celiac disease, Chronic fatigue syndrome, Fibromyalgia, Lyme disease and many more.
These are the 14 most common warning signs of mold poisoning:
- Joint pain
- Changes in weight
- Blurred vision
- Light sensitivity
- Mood changes
- Sleeping disorders
- Auto-immune diseases
- Often inflammations
- Confusion and/or memory loss
- Neurocognitive problems
- Sensitivity for certain types of food
What to do?
- Test the environment you live and work in. The EPA has developed a widely used test called ERMI (Environmental, relative moldiness index), which shows if there is mold or not.
- A professional mold remediation company will identify the source of the mold and make the proper repairs to remove it.
- Before you start detoxification, consult a doctor specialized in health problems related to mold, or a doctor trained or familiar with the “Shoemaker protocol.”
- A healthy lifestyle can help: regular detoxification of the body, avoiding foods which contain yeast, fungus or mold (like sugars and carbohydrates), following a Candida diet, restoring the body with supplements like olive leaves, active charcoal, glutathione and others.
- Get all the information you can get regarding mold and its effects, in order to protect yourself and your close ones.