You have heard of and tried almond or coconut milk, but how about pecan milk?
You probably like pecans, but never thought of using them to prepare milk. Try this recipe and it can easily become your favorite non-dairy milk.
You can find this milk as one of the new products at Whole Foods. Its taste is incredible, but it`s pretty expensive and it has added sweeteners. You can make your own simpler version, avoiding sweeteners and saving money.
Our recipe is creamier that almond or coconut milk, you can use it with some homemade granola for breakfast or with soups, to add them amazing flavor.
Also, pecans are rich in magnesium, which is very important for proper function of human body, it keep the immune system healthy and strengthens the bones.
The recipe is so simple, even your kids can make it. And they`ll love it!
This recipe is for 4 serving, it will take you 5 minutes to prepare it and there is no cooking.
You will need the following ingredients:
- ½ to ¾ cup of raw, unsalted pecans
- 10 drops of some natural sweetener (for example, vanilla cream stevia extract)
- ½ tsp. of cinnamon
- 1 tsp. of vanilla (or some other spice you prefer)
- ¼ tsp. of salt
- 4 cups of water
- Soak the pecans in a bowl of filtered water overnight or more; the longer they soak, the creamier the milk will be.
- After this, drain and rinse the pecans well.
- Put the pecans in a blend, along with the hot, filtered water and the salt
- Add the cinnamon and vanilla, or some other spice. Or you can prepare the milk without them.
- Blend the ingredients for 3 minutes, or until the mixture get creamy.
- Leave it for 2 minutes, then strain it using cheesecloth or a huck towel, over a wire mesh strainer, squeezing the cloth/towel to get as much milk as possible.
- Transfer the milk in a glass jar, cover with a lid and store in the fridge, for up to 1 week
- You can use it for breakfast with cereals, put it in the coffee or drink it on its own, the taste is amazing and refreshing.
For preparing pecan milk, you can use any sweetener you want, but we recommend stevia or some other natural sugar-free option, like raw honey or maple syrup (2 tbsp. of either one).
For a chocolate version of this milk, just add 2 tbsp. of raw cocoa powder.