Sauerkraut is a fermented cabbage, caused by lactic acid like Lactobacillus or Leuconostos. It stays fresh for very long and it offers many health benefits, like many other fermented foods.
How to make your own sauerkraut:
– Remove the outside damaged leaves, then chop the cabbage. Don`t wash to leaves to keep the natural bacteria intact.
– Put the chopped cabbage in a container and add 3 tbsp. of salt for 5 pounds of cabbage. Salt is used to pull out the water, harden the pectin and help the sauerkraut last longer.
– Squeeze the shreds to take out as much water as possible, then press them down with a heavy object for a few hours.
– If needed, add more water.
– The container should be covered to keep away dust or bugs.
– Store the prepared container in a cool place for 4-6 weeks and check it from time to time if there is enough water.
– To stop the fermentation, transfer the container in the refrigerator.
Health benefits of sauerkraut:
– Improved digestion: it improves digestion and problems with the digestive tract since it`s rich in fiber. Regular consummation can help with cramps and bloating, constipation, gastric and colon cancer, and it promotes healthy bowel movement.
– Increased energy: Sauerkraut is rich in iron, which stimulates blood circulation and metabolism and increases energy levels. It can fight anemia, headaches and fatigue.
– Boosts immunity: As an incredible source of vitamin C, sauerkraut yis excellent immunity booster. It is also very important for creation of white blood cells, collagen and regeneration of cells.
– Strengthens bones: Vitamin K from the sauerkraut is responsible for the production of a protein, important for bone mineralization, which makes the bones stronger.
– Fight inflammation: Sauerkraut contains phytonutrient antioxidant which has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Regular consummation of sauerkraut can relieve pains caused by inflammation.
– Healthy heart: The fibers from sauerkraut are excellent for protecting arteries and blood vessels from accumulation of bad cholesterol, which is great for the cardiovascular system.
– Improved eyesight and skin health: Sauerkraut is rich in vitamin A, which is very important for skin and vision health. As for the skin, it reduces wrinkles and blemishes. When it comes to the eyesight, vitamin A can reduce the risk of cataract and macular degeneration.
– Cancer prevention: Sauerkraut, as well as all the other fermented foods, has powerful antioxidant and anticancer properties, because they can destroy free radicals and prevent healthy cells mutation.