Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it fuels our body with the energy we need to start the day and maintain weight.
It is very reasonable to consume the larger part of calories in the morning because it will give you more time to burn them during the day. Don`t skip breakfast, it will only slow down your metabolism and make you feel like a zombie.
Survey by the NPD group showed that almost 90% of Americans eat breakfast, but still almost 50% of them are overweight or obese.
Two things you need to know about breakfast:
- Eating breakfast can help you lose weight (especially if you are obese), it can reduce the total intake of food during the rest of the day and it will make you physically more active.
- Timing is not that important. It`s not that you must eat the breakfast as soon as you get out of bed. It won`t harm the metabolism even if you wait an hour after waking up.
What do nutritionists say about the ideal breakfast for each of us?
According to Toby Amidor, author of the Greek Yogurt Cookbook: “Eat a calorie-controlled breakfast which will keep you satisfied”.
“My suggestion is to have whole grains, lean protein and some healthy fat.” Good example can be half a cup of quick oats with a small portion of almonds.
Why do nutritionists always add oatmeal in your breakfast? Here are some benefits of eating oatmeal.
- It`s the best source of energy: that is why it is recommended for the first meal, especially for those who study or spend long hours working
- It`s good for the heart: oatmeal is rich in omega 3 and linoleic acids, which will help you reduce the bad cholesterol, and improve heart and brain activity.
- It helps the process of weight loss: Consume it on empty stomach with soy or skim milk, with orange juice, or some nuts added.
- It is used in beauty treatments: Use the beneficial properties of oatmeal by consuming it internally or externally- mix it with your moisturizing cream to get an incredible face exfoliant; it will be cheaper than some regular beauty treatment, and the results will be the same
- It fights cancer: according to many studies, oatmeal can fight cancer due to its phytochemicals. Consuming oatmeal for breakfast every day can reduce the risk of breast or colon cancer by 10%
- It prevents osteoporosis: calcium levels prevent demineralization of the bones
- It keeps the central nervous system healthy: the B vitamins contribute to balanced functioning of the nervous system
- It contains important proteins: Oat meal contains 8 essential amino acids, which turn into valuable source of proteins and promote formation of new tissues
- It improves digestion: Oatmeal helps in reducing gallbladder acids, prevents constipation by facilitating intestinal transit. It is rich in slow carbon absorption hydrates, which keep the feeling of fullness longer.
- It helps with thyroid conditions: Iodine from oatmeal helps the gland to function properly
- It cleanses toxins: The huge amounts of amino acids stimulate production of leptin in the liver which takes part in cleansing the body from toxins. Oatmeal will also clean the arteries with its fibers which act as a barrier from the accumulated fat deposits that cause cholesterol, cardiac and other problems.
- It controls blood sugar levels: if you suffer from diabetes, add oatmeal to you diet to keep balanced glycemic level after the meal