We all know how good bananas are for our health, but most of us are not aware of how important their peel can be. When we eat bananas, the first thing we do is throw away the peel. But certain people, like the ones in India have known the health and nutritional benefits of banana peels, and that`s why they consume the whole banana, with the peel.
Benefits of banana peel:
- Teeth whitening: Use the inner side of the peel to rub your teeth with it, every day. The treatment should last two weeks. After this period you will notice positive results.
- Skin warts: Banana peel is excellent for removing skin warts, but also for preventing them. Put the banana peel over the wart, fix it with a bandage and let it act overnight. Continue with this treatment until the wart can be removed.
- Reduces wrinkle and acne: Bananas have antioxidant and anti-aging properties, they nourish and hydrate the skin. Rub the problematic parts of the skin with a banana peel, let it act for 30 minutes, then wash the skin.
- Cure for psoriasis: Even though it can`t completely cure psoriasis, banana peel can sooth the symptoms of this skin disease.
- Analgesic: Banana peel can be a powerful analgesic- just rub the painful spots with it.
- Weight loss: Almost 40% of the potassium from the banana is contained in the peel. This mineral is very important for the process of weight loss because it boost metabolism to burn more calories and provides muscles with energy so that you can be more active.
Banana peels also contain antioxidants, vitamin A, B-vitamins and fibers. Most of the fibers are contained in the peel, and they are useful if you want to lose weight because they make you feel full for longer time.
This is a recipe with banana peels, which is not only tasty, but it will also improve your health and promote weight loss.inc
Banana skins with black-eyed peas:
- 4 peels from green bananas
- ½ cup of black eyed-peas (fresh ones should be soaked overnight)
- 1 tsp. of turmeric
- ½ tsp. of mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp. of unsweetened grated coconut
- 2 tsp. of coconut oil
- Juice from one lime
- Chop the banana skins in small pieces and boil them in water with a dash of salt and the turmeric. Add a few drops of oil, to prevent sticking. When the water start boiling, remove from the stove, and let the peels simmer until they are tender. Drain them, and keep the water for later.
- If you use canned black-eyed peas, rinse and drain them. If you use fresh, boil them until they become tender.
- Heat the coconut oil on medium heat in a frying pan, add the mustard seeds and fry them until they start popping.
- Add the banana peels and the black-eyed peas, stir, cook for 5 minutes or so and then remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the grated coconut, add salt and lime juice, and the meal is ready for serving.
Green or yellow peels?
Ripe bananas have more cancer-fighting properties. They are also more helpful for the process of white blood cells creation.
But for losing weight, the better option are the green peels because they contain more probiotics, which are helpful for the digestive system. The green banana peels are also very beneficial for increasing the levels of dopamine and serotonin.
Eating a whole banana, with the peel, can be hard, but there are a few options how to do it.
Make a smoothie with a banana peel, coconut milk, ice, cinnamon or some other ingredients. Use yellow peels because they are sweeter and they taste more like a banana.
Also, you can make tea from ripe bananas: remove the ends and boil them for about 10 minutes, strain the peels and enjoy the banana tea. Add some honey if you drink your tea sweet.
Green bananas are better for cooking. Use them as a replacement for potatoes or for preparing curry or chutney. Be creative, use your imagination, make your own combinations.
And don`t forget: always buy organic bananas and clean them well before use.