Lemon, salt and pepper are not only spices you cook with or put in your salad. They can also be used as medicine to help you treat some everyday health issues. Plus you always have them at home and they are cheap. Here are some problems they can help with:
- Colds and flu: juice from half lemon in a cup of boiling water will cure regular cold. Put also the pulp and peel from the lemon, leave for 10 minutes and add honey
- Nausea: put a tablespoon of lemon juice and a teaspoon of black pepper in a glass of warm water, and drink it slowly; the smell of the lemon will stop the nausea and the pepper will sooth the stomach.
- Sore throat: Mix a tablespoon of lemon juice, half of black pepper and one tablespoon of salt, in big glass of warm water; this will sooth the throat and gargling will prevent coughs.
- Stuffy nose: Mix pepper, cumin, cardamom and cinnamon and pestle them in a mortar; smelling the powder will make you sneeze.
- Asthma attacks: to relieve breathing problems caused by asthma, take 10 grains of black pepper, 15 basil leaves, 2 clove buds and simmer them for 15 minute in boiling water, then strain add some honey and keep the mixture in a lid jar, in the fridge.
- Nose-bleeding: to stop nose bleeding, put a cotton ball dipped in lemon juice in the nostril, then tilt the head so that blood won`t go in the throat.
- Tooth pain: mix half a teaspoon of ground black pepper with some clove oil, and apply it in the aching tooth, to stop the pain. And don`t forget to floss and brush twice a day.
- Sores: for mouth sores, mix a tablespoon of pink Himalayan salt with some warm water and gargle. It will heal the sores and kill bacteria in your mouth in no time.
- Weight loss: to speed up the metabolism, drink warm water with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice, ¼ ground pepper and a tablespoon of honey. Polyphenols from the lemon will improve insulin, speed up the metabolism and stop gaining weight.
- Gallstones: Gallstones are very painful and they obstruct digestion. Except from surgical removal, you can try with this natural remedy: mix of 1 part lemon, 1 part pepper and 3 parts olive oil.