Black seed may seem humble, but it`s very powerful remedy for almost any health problems. It can heal poisoned body by chemicals weapons, stimulate regeneration of dying beta cells in pancreas affected by diabetes, it kills MRSA, and many more. Still, most people haven`t even heard of it.
Black seeds come from the annual flowering plant Nigella Sativa and they have been used for their numerous health benefits since forever. You can also find it under the name black sesame, black cumin, black caraway, Roman coriander or onion seed, but black seed is the most common and known name, because it describes accurately how it looks.
Black seed used 3,330 years ago
The first known record of cultivation and use of black seed is from ancient Egypt. It was found in the tomb of Pharaoh Tutankhamen, from 3,330years ago.
The Arabic cultures call it Habbatul barakah, which means seed of blessing. Muslims believe that their prophet Mohammed called it “a cure for all diseases, except death.”
Biomedical studies have confirmed many of the traditionally ascribed health benefits of black cumin- since 1964, there have been 458 published peer-reviewed studies in which black cumin is mentioned.
Research has confirmed over 40 health conditions which can be treated with black seeds, including 20 pharmacological properties like:
- Analgesic (Pain-Killing)
- Gluconeogenesis Inhibitor (Anti-Diabetic)
- Hepatoprotective (Protects liver)
- Insulin Sensitizing
- Interferon Inducer
- Leukotriene Antagonist
- Renoprotective (Protects kidneys)
- Tumor Necrosis Factor Alpha Inhibitor
Until now, more than 1600 natural compounds were identified, which have wide range of health benefits. Tens of thousands of other substances have been researched, with hundreds of thousands of studies to confirm the medical values. For example, turmeric can help more than 600 health issues, and has more than 160 pharmacological properties. The literature supporting and indication the medicinal values of natural substances is voluminous.
Research on black cumin
Black seed can treat some of the following health conditions:
- Asthma: Thymoquinone is one of the main substances in black cumin, and has been proved very powerful in animal model of asthma. Studies on human subjects discovered that black sees extracts can have anti-asthmatic effects on asthmatic airways.
- Colon cancer: According to cell studies, extract from black seed acts the same way as the 5-fluoruracil chemoagent in stopping the growth of colon cancer, but it`s much safer. It has significant inhibitory effects against colon cancer in laboratory rats.
- MRSA: Black cumin has antibacterial properties against clinical isolates of MRSA bacteria.
- Type 2 diabetes: According to research, 2 grams of black seeds a day can reduce fasting glucose, decrease insulin resistance and glycosylated hemoglobin, and it can also increase beta-cell function.
- Epilepsy: The anticonvulsive properties of black seeds have been known for a long time. A study from 2007 discovered that water extract from black seeds can reduce seizure activity in epileptic children, whose condition was resistant to conventional drugs.
- Hypertension: Patients with mild hypertension were treated with 100 and 200 mg of black cumin twice a day for 2 months, resulting in reduced blood pressure.
- Helicobacter Pylori: The positive effects of black seeds on H. pylori infection can be compared to triple eradication therapy.
- Acute tonsillopharyngitis: Tonsil or pharyngeal inflammations (like sore throat), with viral origin, can be treated with black seed capsules, which relieves throat pain significantly, and reduces the need of pain killers.
- Addiction to opiates/ Withdrawals symptoms: 35 opiate addicts were treated with black seed therapy, which showed to be very effective in long term treatment of addiction to opioids.
- Injuries by chemical weapons: A placebo-controlled human study of patients injured by some sort of chemical weapon discovered that water extract from black seeds can reduce respiratory problems, pulmonary function tests values and chest wheezing, reducing the need for conventional drugs.
Gift from nature
We need to understand the true nature of this seeds, how much life it contains, to see how capable it can be in fighting bacteria resistant to antibiotics, in treating the body poisoned by chemical weapons or stimulating regeneration of insulin –producing beta cells in diabetic, which is only a small fraction of its powers confirmed by research.
The biggest difference between herbs and seeds and pharmaceutical drugs is that the first ones are created by the nature, and the second ones by men with only one motive- profit.
The time of food, seeds, herbs, plants, sunlight, clean water and air is coming, they are taking their place in medicine and self-healing treatments. The conventional medicine will fall one day, it will have to be reformed, using only non-patented natural compounds with real healing properties. Then we will learn how to take back control over our own health and well-being.
The key to self-empowerment is in black seed and other food and natural medicines.