M&M’s were one of my favorite little sweetest sins, especially during the holiday season. But, since I’ve found out about these next things, I’ve stopped with consumption of these sweeties.
In general, this is what you need to know about M&M:
- Created in 1941
- Created for soldiers so they could carry chocolate without melting
- The two M’s are for Forrest E. Mars, and William F.R. Murrie
- Their partnership allowed Mars to use Hershey in their products
- Currently they are sold in more than a hundred countries with 33 different fillings
But, in 1976, the Red candies were banned, because of the questionable dyes, and FD&C Red #2 was believed to be carcinogen. And then, in 1983 they were reintroduced.
But, these candies have a lot of harmful ingredients. The original bag of M&M’s lists the following ingredients: Milk chocolate (sugar, chocolate, cocoa butter, skim milk, milk fat, lactose, soy lecithin, salt, artificial color), sugar, corn starch, >1% corn syrup, dextrin, artificial colors (Blue 1 Lake, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 6, Yellow 5, Red 40, Blue 1, Blue 2 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, Yellow 5 lake, Blue 2), gum acacia.
And here are the effects they have on your body:
- Soy lecithin – affects fertility and reproduction, it may lead to breast cancer, and may cause behavioral and cerebral abnormalities.
- Blue 1 – it may cause low blood pressure, hay fever, hives, allergic reactions, it may create malignant tumors at the site of injection and by ingestion in rats, and it is advisable to take caution in the case of aspirin sensitivity.
- Red 40 – it may lead to swelling around the mouth, it may cause damage to the DNA, hives, cancer, hyperactivity in children.
- Yellow 6 – it may cause diarrhea, allergic reactions, vomiting, migraines, nettle rash, swelling, and it may lead to cancer.
- Yellow 5 – it may lead to allergic reactions, cancer and hyperactivity.
- Blue 2 – this is a petroleum based product, which increased brain tumors in lab rats, supports other abnormal cell development, and it increases hyperactivity in children.
- Gum Acacia – it may lead to nausea, bloating, gas, loose stool.
But, unfortunately, the company won’t stop their production with the use of these artificial colors. And, they even declared they were even safe for human consumption, while the scientific evidence clearly says they’re not.
However, if you want something sweet, yet healthy, try:
- Equal Exchange
- Sweet riot
- Good Cacao