Liver is the largest organ in human body and it`s located in the right upper quadrant of the abdomen, partially enclosed by the ribs. It is very important to keep it healthy and known how to recognize the early symptoms of possible damage in order to treat them because the liver is crucial for many bodily functions.
12 warning signs that your liver is damaged
More than 100 diseases can affects the liver, each of them with different symptoms and manifestations. Some of the most common conditions are liver cirrhosis, fatty liver disease, hepatitis or alcoholic liver disease. These signals our body sends to warn us are often mistake for something else because they are not very specific. Here are the 12 most usual early warning symptoms of liver damage:
– Fatigue: If you constantly feeling weak and tired, not matter how much you sleep, it`s possible that your liver is damaged. This is because the body has to work harder, and it needs more resting. Damaged liver can`t eliminate the accumulated toxins, so you feel frequent fatigue. If this happens, consult your doctor.
– Changes in urine color: The damaged liver can`t remove the bilirubin, so it has to be removed through the urine. This causes the urine to have orange, amber or brown color.
– Retention of fluids: Inability to remove excess fluids is manifested by bloating of the feet and ankles, which can also be a symptom of kidney problems, hormonal imbalance, lymphatic disease or heart failure.
– Problems with digestion: Liver produces bile, which is important for digestion. As a result of lack of bile, indigestion and diarrhea can occur, the person can also suffer from constipation, abdominal bloating, irritable bowel syndrome, intolerance to fatty food or gallstones.
– Stomach pain: A very usual symptom of liver damage.
– Diarrhea, constipation or intestinal bleeding: These symptoms occur due to lack of the clotting factor which the liver makes.
– Skin itching: Improper work of the liver causes the skin to become sensitive, flaky and itchy, as well as very sensitive to the touch. Damaged liver can increase the occurrence of bruising and vein visibility. You can moisturize the skin, but this won`t help with the problem, because you need to treat the root of the condition.
– Jaundice: Person with jaundice has yellow eyes, tongue, skin and fingertips, due to the increased levels of bilirubin in the blood. This can also indicate some gallbladder or pancreas issue.
– Changes in stool color: Lack of bile can cause changes in stool color. The normal brown color turns into gray, clay or yellow. This condition can be temporary, if not- search for medical attention.
– Decreased appetite: This can be caused by lack of bile, which helps the digestion of fat. Improperly digested food leads to loss of appetite and, consequently, weight loss.
– Abdominal changes: Bloating or pain and cramps in lower abdominal area can be a symptom of damaged liver. Ascites accumulation of fluids in the peritoneal cavity, causing abdominal bloating, which is an early symptom of liver damage. Another sign of liver damage is high blood pressure in the veins and arteries of the abdomen.
– Upset stomach: Nausea and vomiting are a common symptom of liver damage, but they also indicate food poisoning, early pregnancy, depression, motion sickness, vertigo, kidney problems and many other conditions. If you are suffering from persistent nausea, caused by the decreased ability of the liver to eliminate toxins, you should consult your doctor to get the proper diagnosis and start a treatment.
These are not the only symptoms of liver damage, it can also manifest through loss of libido in both men and women, as well as problems in the balance of sex hormones (for example, breasts in men).
If any of these symptoms are persistent, they make you feel bad and won`t go away, you must consult your doctor ASAP.
The video below will present you 7 foods which are great for the liver.