10-Month-Old Baby Almost Dies After Sitting In Grocery Cart

You`ll be shocked when you learn what the lives on an average grocery cart. According to a study, almost half of the carts contain E.coli bacteria and 72% of them contain, believe it or not, fecal matter!

According to Donna Duberg, clinical laboratory science professor at Saint Louis University, a square inch of the shopping cart contains about 138,000 bacteria, which is more than the number of bacteria in any public toilet.

If we know that these bacteria are harmful for adults, imagine the risk on any infant`s health, whose immune system is still developing. We won`t exaggerate if we say that the results can be life-threatening and fatal.

Vivienne Wardrop, a young mother from Australia, learned this the hard way. Her 10-month-old son Logan fell very ill after she took him in a supermarket while she was shopping. The whole time he was sitting in the grocery cart.

As Wardrop stated for the Australia`s Daily Mail: “I have never seen my son so sick. In only 3 days he lost 800 grams, which is 10% of his body weight. The water in his body wouldn`t go into the cells, so he became bloated. The whole situation was horrible, even talking about it makes me cry.”

Doctors did numerous tests on the baby, and discovered that Logan got rotavirus, salmonella, adenovirus and meningitis, all of them from the shopping cart! His mother wrote on Facebook that, according to the doctors, that was the only possible place from where he could have gotten all of these viruses.

The child spent 10 days in the hospital, 8 of which in the intensive care unit. Now he is at home, but it will take some time for him to recover completely. In the meantime, he`ll continue to take antibiotics.

Wardrop is warning all the parents to thoroughly wipe the chopping cart before putting their babies inside.

Meningitis is caused by few types of common bacteria, and one of them is E. coli. For infants, this condition can be deadly.

Sanitary precautions

All parents should consider the following before cleaning every surface the baby comes into contact with antibacterial wipes.

Be careful regarding their contact with germs, but don`t overdo it. If the environment where the child lives is too clean, it may cause asthma and food allergies because the child is completely protected from exposure to bacteria or allergens in early life, so later on the immune system is not able to deal with these threats.

Dr. Ari Brown, immunology expert, says that we should be aware and clean, but in normal limits, without going crazy about it.

Another useful tip is to bring a blanket from home when you go to the grocery store with your child, so that you can cover the area where the baby seats and gets into contact with.

If you are using wipes, be careful- antibacterial soaps and sanitizers contain some compounds which feed the bacteria and viruses resistant to antibiotics. Also they contain ingredients which are harmful on their own like triclosan, which can cause liver fibrosis, hormonal imbalance, even cancer.

The video below will show you how to recognize the symptoms of baby meningitis.

Source: www.davidwolfe.com